Emerald and CAPES library consortia (A Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior) are offering a funding grant for a research project that will contribute to the development of library and information science in Brazil. The funding grant of US $3,000 is available for research with a specific focus towards the benefit of Brazil.
In addition to the research fund it is also hoped that once the research is completed its findings can be published in one of Emerald’s many excellent LIS research titles. This is not mandatory. A number of Highly Commended awards may also be bestowed.
Projects can be submitted by researchers or groups linked to a member institution of the Portal de Periódicos da Capes. In case of group projects, it is compulsory for the first author to be linked to a Brazilian institution of education and research. Each author or research group may sign only one project.
A panel of renowned reseachers, chosen by CAPES, will carry out a blind evaluation using the standard evaluation form.
Judges will evaluate all qualifying submissions and come to a joint decision on one winning proposal. Judges will also be allowed to recommend runners-up for a Highly Commended Award (details of runners up will be published on the Emerald website and a certificate will be issued; however there is no monetary award for Highly Commended proposals).
For the evaluation, the judges will use the following criteria:
a) Reasonable budget and schedule submitted according to the proposed objectives in the project (eliminatory);
b) Provide clarity and consistency in the objectives and the research problem, meeting the formal requirements of scientific language (20 points);
c) Provide appropriate theoretical and methodological framework (40 points);
d) Be original and relevant (20 points);
e) Linking theory and practice, highlighting the benefits of the proposal for the social good (20 points).
(Total: 100 points)
1. higher score in item c)
2. higher score in item e)
3. higher score in item d)
Library and Information Studies includes the following subject areas:
Applications will be accepted in Portuguese however the Abstract and Key Words must be written in English
A research proposal must be submitted using the online application form
The following documents will be required electronically:
• A summary stating specific goals, outcomes and benefits of the research. This should not exceed 2,000 words (note that tables, figures, appendices and reference lists, if provided do NOT count to the 2,000 word total). As the judges will carry out a blind evaluation, there must be no mention of the authors anywhere in the research summary.
• A covering letter containing full contact details (affiliation, full address, telephone number/s and e-mail address) for all researchers involved in the project. Please state clearly which researcher will be the main point of contact
The 2,000-word summary must:
• Display clearly a statement of purpose and intent
• State clearly the methodology(ies) applied and explicitly describe the research process
• State expected research outcomes and expected impact and possible application
• Specify the expected timescales of the research process
• Outline projected costs and total research grant required
Note on funding grant: Applicants must state that the funding grant money will only be used for research purposes. This includes research materials, computer equipment, travel costs, subscription fees, administration costs, and paying research assistants. Any research team members must divide the grant money between them as they see fit.
• The closing date for applications is 1st April 2013
• Applicants will be notified of the result in July 2013
For further information, please contact: